The Naijawide NewsThe Naijawide NewsThe Naijawide News
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Search
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Real Madrid footballer, Trent Alexander-Arnold condemns alleged r@cist abuse of Vinícius Júnior (videos)
Share
Font ResizerAa
The Naijawide NewsThe Naijawide News
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Search
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • News
  • Sports
  • Celeb News
  • Lifestyle & Trends
  • Politics
  • Biography
  • Economy & Business News
  • Foreign News
Follow US
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.

Home » Real Madrid footballer, Trent Alexander-Arnold condemns alleged r@cist abuse of Vinícius Júnior (videos)

Sports

Real Madrid footballer, Trent Alexander-Arnold condemns alleged r@cist abuse of Vinícius Júnior (videos)

Proff32 Proff32
Last updated: 18 February 2026 1:46 pm
Proff32 Proff32
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

AFP 20260217 97XM2ZQ v1 MidRes FblEurC1BenficaRealMadrid 1771412856

 

Trent Alexander-Arnold described as “disgusting” the alleged racist abuse aimed at Vinícius Júnior during Real Madrid’s 1-0 win over Benfica in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off tie on Tuesday night, February 18.

 

The match at the Estádio da Luz was halted for more than 10 minutes after Vinícius accused Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni of directing racist language toward him shortly after the Brazilian scored the decisive goal early in the second half.

 

“It’s disgusting. What’s happened tonight is a disgrace for football,” said Alexander-Arnold, the former Liverpool defender. “It’s ruined the night for the team.”

Real Madrid footballer, Trent Alexander-Arnold condemns alleged r@cist abuse of Vin�cius J�nior (videos)

 

Vinícius had put Real ahead in the 50th minute with a stunning strike before celebrating in front of the home supporters, prompting a heated exchange with Prestianni. The Brazilian later informed referee François Letexier that he had been called “mono” the Spanish term for monkey. He was booked for his celebration before the racism protocol was activated.

Real forward Kylian Mbappé called for firm sanctions if the allegation is proven.

 

“We cannot accept that a player behaves like this in Europe’s top competition,” Mbappé said. “If it’s confirmed, he shouldn’t play in the Champions League again.”

Real Madrid footballer, Trent Alexander-Arnold condemns alleged r@cist abuse of Vin�cius J�nior (videos)

 

Midfielder Aurélien Tchouaméni confirmed that Vinícius reported being racially abused, while captain Federico Valverde said teammates heard “something ugly” said during the confrontation.

 

“If you cover your mouth to speak, it’s usually because you know what you’re saying isn’t right,” Valverde told Spanish television. “I’m proud of how Vini handled it and how he continued to play.”

Look at this video. Prestianni was already calling Vinícius Jr a “m*onkey” long before he even heard it.

That’s why Mbappé said he heard it five times, and reason why he was the first to confront him. pic.twitter.com/ApkVINqoRv

— 10 (@Kylian) February 18, 2026

 

 

Portuguese fans in the stands racially abusing Vinicius jr completely unacceptable.

Portugal 🇵🇹, this isn’t who you should be. You can and must do better.

pic.twitter.com/QMDdgb0GIe

— 𝙷𝚊𝚛𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚘𝚗 (@fcbharrison) February 18, 2026

 

Benfica coach José Mourinho said Prestianni denied the accusation and criticized Vinícius for provoking the crowd with his celebration. Mourinho was later sent off for protesting that the Brazilian should have received a second yellow card.

 

The incident reignited long-standing concerns over racism in European football. Vinícius, 25, has repeatedly been subjected to racial abuse in Spain. In 2023, he confronted fans at Valencia’s Mestalla stadium over similar insults, while several Atlético Madrid supporters have faced legal consequences for racist actions targeting him.

 

After the brief suspension under UEFA’s anti-racism protocol, the match resumed without further incident, and Real Madrid held on to secure a narrow but valuable away victory.

TAGGED:Real Madrid
Share This Article
Facebook Copy Link Print
Previous Article Ozonna Soludo, son of gov Soludo, hints at the gender he wishes to be addressed by Ozonna Soludo, son of gov Soludo, hints at the gender he wishes to be addressed by
Next Article Werder Bremen Chief rules out Nigerian striker Victor Boniface’s return this season after knee surgery Werder Bremen Chief rules out Nigerian striker Victor Boniface’s return this season after knee surgery
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
Chinese female streamer loses 140,000 followers after beauty filter came off during livestream to reveal real face
Chinese female streamer loses 140,000 followers after beauty filter came off during livestream to reveal real face
Entertainment
Arrow star David Ramsey opens up on secret battle with cancer
Arrow star David Ramsey opens up on secret battle with cancer
Entertainment
Werder Bremen Chief rules out Nigerian striker Victor Boniface’s return this season after knee surgery
Werder Bremen Chief rules out Nigerian striker Victor Boniface’s return this season after knee surgery
Sports
Ozonna Soludo, son of gov Soludo, hints at the gender he wishes to be addressed by
Ozonna Soludo, son of gov Soludo, hints at the gender he wishes to be addressed by
News

You Might also Like

AFCON 2025: NIGERIA TOPS GROUP C – ADVANCES TO ROUND OF 16
Sports

AFCON 2025: NIGERIA TOPS GROUP C – ADVANCES TO ROUND OF 16

2 months ago
Super Eagles captain, Wilfred Ndidi loses his father in road accident in Delta
NewsSports

Super Eagles captain, Wilfred Ndidi loses his father in road accident in Delta

3 weeks ago
AFCON 2026: REVENGE OR JUST ANOTHER GAME
Sports

AFCON 2026: REVENGE OR JUST ANOTHER GAME

1 month ago
Nigeria’s Super Eagles to face Egypt in AFCON 2025 warm-up
Sports

Nigeria’s Super Eagles to face Egypt in AFCON 2025 warm-up

4 months ago
The Naijawide NewsThe Naijawide News
Follow US
© 2026 The NaijaWide News. All Rights Reserved.
  • Home Page
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
  • About Us
  • Terms of Service
  • Copyright & Takedown Policy (DMCA)
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?